Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oscar Winner Predictions: Original Screenplay


Is it me or is there huge enthusiasm around Django Unchained? I thought the movie was ok, not Tarantino's best, but a pretty good time. But from what I understand (or the internet has led me to believe) I am by far on the minority here. People really love the movie. I first thought this was a case of the internet generally loving Tarantino, but then award shows started showing their love too. Tatantino already won screenplay awards from the Golden Globes and the BAFTA and I think he's on his way to win his second Oscar.
Is there any other film that could beat Quentin on Sunday? Sadly, my favorite movie of the year, Moonrise Kingdom, doesn't seem to have a prayer of chance, this being its one and only nomination. The torture controversy and then the Kathryn Bigelow snub have really hurt Zero Dark Thirty. And the less is said about the terrible screenplay for Flight the better. 
That leaves only one possible spoiler, and a pretty good one, Michael Haneke's Amour. Now, the movie does have support across the board, being nominated for Director and, most importantly, Best Picture. But I also have to remember this is not only the writers branch voting for the winner, it's also sound mixers, editors and publicists. Amour could win, and I would love if it did, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.   
I really like Tarantino, but man do I wish he had won his second Oscar for either Inglourious Basterds or Jackie Brown instead of Django. 

Will Win: Django Unchained

Should Win: Moonrise Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment