Saturday, February 9, 2013

Oscar Winner Predictions: Animated Feature


My love for Laika Animation's Paranoman is well documented, so it is with great sorrow that I must face the fact that it will probably won't win the Animated Feature award. I remain hopeful that it could happen and no single win would make me happier on Oscar night, but yes, I know chances are against my ultimate happiness. 
Out of the other nominees, the front-runner seems to be Disney's Wreck-It-Ralph, which is ok by me, since it is my second favorite of the nominees and a very solid, entertaining and touching film. Pixar used to dominate this category, but their Brave was a disappointment to say the least. Ditto Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, which many critics hailed as a good film, but that I found very lacking. There are a lot of laughs in The Pirates! Band of Misfits but it is a slight and not that impressive film (especially when compared to Aardman animation's other work such as Wallace and Gromit). So, yes, it seems like Wreck-It-Ralph is going to end up the winner. And I'm ok with that. 
(And yet I'll keep hoping for a Paranorman upset).

Will Win: Wreck-It-Ralph

Should Win: Paranorman 

No comments:

Post a Comment