Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday Television 10/21/12: Homeland's "New Car Smell"


First things first. Virgil is back! Didn't you miss him? You can't argue against the fact that he was one of the bets characters from the first season, even if he never got all that much to do. David Marciano's performance just makes him an incredibly likable guy. 

Now, on to the episode itself. 

I really felt like not writing about this episode of 'Homeland', but the truth is I don't have anything better to do right now and no matter how little people actually read this, the OCD in me couldn't let me miss writing about an episode of this show. The reason why I didn't want to write was the ending. I didn't quite now what to make of it. 

In terms of plot, that is. The literal final moments of the episode, with Carrie standing in the room were great, I just couldn't understand the early capture of Brody. I guess it has a lot to do with the way we have learned to watch television through the years. Common television viewing tell us that things shouldn't really change that much, especially when it concerns one of your main characters. 

Up until that final scene in Brody's hotel room, everything indicated to me that this was an episode in which the show set itself into the status quo for the season: Carrie back at the CIA spying on Brody while he tries to hide his true identity. But by the end of the episode, Brody was captured. In many ways I loved that development, that the show is not afraid to apparently put things on the line and change stuff up a little bit. But is this when they finally go off the rails? What will happen to Brody now? If they reveal him as a terrorist, they couldn't possibly continue the show, could they? And could we go forth with Brody just escaping the CIA constantly from now going forward? I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment