Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Trailer Watch: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

A lot of people on the internet, myself included, have reacted to the news that Peter Jackson is now planning to turn The Hobbit into a trilogy with a loud groan. 

I particularly am not that interested in returning to Middle Earth, much less if it's going to be with Peter Jackson yet again at the helm (I liked the idea of Guillermo Del Toro as director better, but we know how that just didn't work out). I think Peter Jackson did an amazing job with 'The Lord of the Rings', one of the greatest cinematic saga of all-time and one of the defining moment of film in the last decade. I just don't want him to burn this franchise to the ground. Just look at what happened with 'Star Wars' and 'The Matrix'. 

I have been unenthusiastic about all the news surrounding the production of this movie and the fact that they are now doing the Harry Potter trick of stretching a book into numerous movies is making me angry. You see, 'The Hobbit', as a book, is a little story about an adventure. It is not an epic multi-volume-spanning saga of the battle between good and evil amidst the shadow of war. It's just a cool adventure. I don't see (no matter how much extra stuff Jackson is planning on cramming up into the film) how this story is three movies.

That being said, the trailer gives me a little hope. I know, it's so weird for a trailer to look good nowadays, but this one made me feel like I could go back to Middle Earth to hang out with Bilbo and Gandalf a little more. Watching it I realized I would love to go back on an adventure with them. I would be absolutely fine with that if it was just one film. I even tolerated that it was going to be two. But three is just too greedy. The strong comedic tone of the trailer suggest the tone I was expecting from the book, but it also looks like it's going to be all set-up and no payoff. And I hate that. Also, the second movie is going to be called 'The Desolation of Smaug' which is the worst title in the history of ever. 

Anyway, watch the trailer and judge for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment